Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder. If left untreated, it can result in a growing number of health problems including high blood pressure, stroke, heart failure, diabetes and depression.
Here’s the good news – it is possible to get Preferred considerations on successfully treated sleep apnea.
If the condition is mild (Apnea Index below 20 and oxygen saturation greater than 80% on sleep study), all Preferred classes can be available if treatment is successful. More severe sleep apnea conditions may qualify for Standard Plus or Preferred if successfully treated.
Take a look at this case study:
- 50- yr- old male
- Small business owner applying for $2 million of term coverage
- Non Smoker, with no tobacco use in 30 years
- No adverse family history
- Began complaining of fatigue five years ago
- Sleep study showed an Apnea Index of 30 and oxygen saturation of 80%; CPAP was recommended
- A follow up sleep study 18 months later showed an Apnea Index of 2 and oxygen saturation of 98%
- There is documented compliance of CPAP use and no further symptoms
- EKG and lab studies were within normal limits; Cholesterol of 185/ratio of 2.3
- Underwriting Decision: Preferred Non Tobacco
Treatment success is shown by a follow up sleep study and documented compliance of the recommended treatment.
Contact your Underwriting Team – regardless of the impairment, we know what it takes to get you the best rates for your clients.