Diabetes is a metabolic disease in which a person has high blood sugar either because the body does not produce enough insulin or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced.
The most well known types of diabetes are:
- Type 1 (treated with insulin)
- Type 2 (treated with a combination of diet, exercise and oral medications) and
- Gestational diabetes (a type of diabetes which occurs during pregnancy.)
When diabetes is coupled with a client who is not an ideal weight, the underwriting class will increase.
There is an A+ carrier will give credit where credit is due – applying health and lifestyle credits to provide the best possible offer.
Let’s take a look at this case study:
- 54-year-old female
- Non-tobacco user
- Applying for $1 million of Term Life
- Has type 2 diabetes; treated with Metformin
- Build is 5′ 3″, 220 lbs
> Initial work-up – Table 4
On submission and review by this A+ Rated carrier, the client received Credits for:
- Lifetime non-smoker
- Income > $100,000
- Preferred or better driving record
- Negative cardiac testing
- Controlled blood pressure
Once those positive credits were applied, this client went from Table 4 to an Underwriting Offer of Table 2.